Women In Film and Television Vancouver (WIFTV) announces the top ten Official Selections in the International Screenplay Competition. Now in its fifth year, the competition is committed to celebrating and recognizing women screenwriters, in pursuit of equal participation in writing for screen-based media.
Our most successful international screenplay competition to date, in 2019 we more than doubled the number of entries, thanks in large part to our co-sponsorship with the ISA – International Screenwriters Association.
We received screenplay submissions from women writers from across Canada and the USA, as well as the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Austria, Turkey, Brazil, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.
Congratulations to the Official Selections:
- Nancy Bartley – The Boy Who Shot the Sheriff – USA
- Jackie Bateman – Salome Magic – Vancouver, BC
- Arla Bowers – White Coyote – USA
- Sam Coyle – White River – Toronto, ON
- Nadia Desyatnikova – Selva – USA
- Michelle Davidson & Jeffrey Field – No Man’s Land – USA
- Helen Marsh – Alice Through the Microscope – Vancouver, BC
- Sheona McDonald – Back by Midnight – Vancouver, BC
- Katterina Powers – A Better Place – USA
- Cate Wood Hunter – The Transmogrification of St. Bunnycrisp – South Africa
The ten Official Selections receive a prize package that includes full festival accreditation to VIWFF 2019, and an opportunity to pitch their scripts to industry professionals at the festival, taking place March 5-10. The first place screenwriter will receive the Ken Hayward Award for Best Screenplay, which includes a cash prize. The winner will be announced at the VIWFF Awards Ceremony on Sunday, March 10, 2019.
The 14th annual Vancouver International Women in Film Festival celebrates the best of cinema created by women. Other Festival events include: film panels, seminars, special guests, artist talks, pitch sessions, receptions, and an awards gala.
VIWFF is grateful for the support of VIFF Vancity Theatre, Canadian Heritage, BC Arts Council, Telefilm, Creative BC, City of Vancouver, TELUS, CMPA-BC, UBCP, Bridge Studios, Casting Workbook, CCE, CFM, Chandler Fogden Aldous, DGC BC, Georgia Straight, IATSE 891, ICG 669, Line 21, Matrix Production Services, Pacific Backlot, Ron Heaps, Ken Hayward, Sandman Hotel, Sim International, Side Street Post, Super Channel.